Archiv für Juni 2019

3D Engine works on the commodore 128

Montag, 24. Juni 2019

Today i tested the 3D-engine in VICE for the commodore 128. It works without any changes. Good news for C 128 fans. Since it has 128 kB RAM even more complex renderings should be possible.

3D Engine Video Tutorial

Samstag, 22. Juni 2019

In this small video tutorial i explain how to make your own 3D objects for the engine in Blender. I decided to speak German, but you will also understand most things just by watching. Have fun, just be creative and show your work if you like. I will post it here in my blog.

Video: https://youtu.be/9yp2uIUDPr0

3D Engine (Basic 3.5)

Donnerstag, 20. Juni 2019

My first release of  the 3D engine.

Consider it as an experiment, play around with the objects and the code. Improve it and port it to all plattforms you want. Thank you all for your support and nice words, which inspired me to get this project so far.

Download: 3dengine.zip


Video: https://youtu.be/14UyU77wLMU


Video: https://youtu.be/3vc08dxoiIk

3D graphics on the plus/4 (Part 2)

Montag, 3. Juni 2019

Memory? CPU?

Programming this old machines is like going to school again. And i choosed to program this in BASIC (by intetion), thinking about myself: „Well 30 years experience in many languages, this is a piece of cake. I know how to do it!“.

No way.

BASIC sounds easy and it is really an easy language to program, if you stay to small „Hello World“ programming. Besides the obvious CPU and Memory limitations (60 kilobytes sharing with code and programm data), i choosed code in a text editor (no syntax-checking, no debugging etc). Variables can have maximun 2 letters (a, aa, a1) and array cannot be allocated dynamically….The more code you produce, the less memory you have avaiable…But with will, pantience and edurance you always find a way..

I implemented now two new BASIC algorithms: sorting the faces by depth and a n-polygon filling algorithm, so that the object is drawn face by face from back towards the front. The amount of code has to be small, so algorithms are not fast or optimal, but do their work. I hope you can see the difference. Sidenote: In C# i would implement this in 1 hour… in this case needed 3 days.. Very challenging and great FUN to see things evolving!

Video: https://youtu.be/OGSwoVhIU3E